Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pack-n-plays and our Naptime Routine

We have had a busy couple of days. I have been in hot pursuit of a new pack-n-play since we found out we were expecting baby number two.
We were blessed by our family and friends with every baby item imaginable when we were expecting Samson. However, the one thing we didn't get was a pack-n-play. We weren't really sure that it was even going to be something we would need or use. My grandparents had loaned us the bassinet that has now been in the family for three generations. We had just bought a ranch-style house and we figured between the bassinet and the crib, we wouldn't have much use for a pack-n-play. Well, we were wrong.
So long story short, the Graco pack-n-play that we bought has not held up well. The mattress was thin and lumpy and always bending and bunching. Also, there was no bassinet setting which made it tricky to lift him in and out of in the beginning. Especially because he always started the night sleeping in either the bassinet or pack-n-play next to our bed and then would move to ours in the middle of the night. With the bassinet, I could reach him while still laying in bed, with the pack-n-play I'd have to climb completely out of bed to pick him up.
I told Pedro as soon as I found out I was pregnant that we were saving up our money and buying a top quality pack-n-play with a bassinet and a good changing station. I have been researching and reading reviews for several months. I've also searched craigslist and garage sales for a good one, but without much luck. I finally settled on THE pack-n-play several weeks ago and I have been in hot pursuit of it ever since. Its only available at Target and I guess everyone else wants it too. Its out of stock on the internet and amazon with a 2-4 week wait. I happened to call yesterday morning to find out if they had any in stock at our Target. They had ONE! Wooohooo! The lady put it on hold and Sam and I raced over in our pajamas to pick it up. It is exactly what I wished we had had with Sam. It's already set up in our living room and I can't wait to use it. We put Sam's little newborn baby in it and he loves to peek in at him and say "baby night-night."
It's hard to believe that we are only a month and a half away from having another little boy in our house. I guess I should probably bring the bassinet and bedding up from the basement and air it out. I also need to start unpacking the newborn clothing, blankets and diapers. I keep thinking we have so much time.

This morning I took Sam to the library for story hour and crafts for the first time ever. He didn't pay too much attention to the story, but I think he really enjoyed it. We got there at 9:15 and I had to drag him out kicking and screaming at 11:15. The highlight for him was playing with the trains set up on a low table with plenty of tracks and bridges. I was even able to look through the adult section and pick up several books for myself while he played happily and walked through the stacks of books with me. Pedro has mentioned before that he wants to try to build Sam a low table that he can run some trains on. I think it might be time to do that. It would be perfect in the basement playroom.

One of my favorite times of the day with Sam is our naptime routine. I always hold him and snuggle him for a couple minutes before I lay him down. Lately he has been falling asleep in my arms before I can even put him down. Most days, he names all the parts of my face and head. Then we exchange kisses. This includes the eskimo and butterfly kind. Butterfly kisses are his favorite. Then he lays his head down on my shoulder and falls asleep or snuggles until I put him in bed, cover him up and rub his back for a minute or two before leaving. In fact, its about that time now. Have a wonderful, sunny afternoon everyone.

No comments: